Thursday, April 24, 2014

Will Facebook end up like the rest?


This week in my New Media class we learned about Social Networking Sites (SNS). As many of you know, these sites are a great way to connect with people you know to share pictures and update them with information about you and your everyday life. Since I started using the internet regularly, I’ve had an account on Xanga, Myspace, and Facebook. By using these websites over the years, I’ve noticed that they are comparable to a popular toy I had when I was a kid, the Furby. It was really awesome when it first came out; then I got it and it was kind of fun; then it wouldn’t shut-up and it got really annoying, so i took the batteries out. As time went on it got old and boring, and then something better came out, so I forgot all about it. When I got Xanga, I only used it for a year or two before MySpace came out, so I have only a vague memory of what it was like. I really enjoyed MySpace my first few years of high school. I was able to change the entire look of my page how I wanted it to be and I would spent hours doing this and talking back and forth with my friends. When I first heard about Facebook I thought it looked stupid because you couldn’t personalize it as much as MySpace. After using the site, I realized that it was much easier to find my friends since they were using their actual name and not a made up username. Eventually I started using Facebook more and more, and so did everyone else. Now, not a single one of my friends, or myself use MySpace. With this being said, I start to wonder if Facebook is just a fad like the other two websites were. I’ve noticed over the last year that the amount of my friends that regularly post on Facebook has drastically decreased. Even when I go on now, I rarely update my status. I only occasionally post pictures, but I don’t share entire albums like I did previously. I went from going on and posting everyday, to going on once a week just to scroll through my newsfeed to see if anyone posted cool pictures. I find it to be unassuming and a waste of my time. I think it’ll be interesting to see how long the excitement of Facebook actually lasts, or if it will become another addition to the SNS graveyard.

Image from: deepspacemarketing.com


No comments:

Post a Comment