Friday, April 18, 2014

Google

This week in my New Media class were learning about the central role that Google plays in people’s online lives. One question that was raised is, does Google have too much power over our lives? In some ways I feel that it does, and in others, it does not. I don’t personally feel like Google runs my life, although I use it everyday. When I go onto the Internet and want to find something quickly, the best way to find it is to Google it. I can look up any type of information or website that I want to just by typing it in. I think it is one of the best references there is out there for anything you need to find.  I’ve tried other search engines, but none of them were as helpful to me as Google. One thing that would be devastating to not only me, but almost everyone in the Internet using world, is if Google suddenly crashed or made their information unavailable. This is one way that I think Google does run our lives. Myself and probably millions of other people look at Google as the portal to the internet. I know I would be able to figure out how to find things on the internet without Google, but it wouldn’t be nearly as easy.


Another question that was raised is, are we addicted to Google? I’m not sure if people are just addicted to Google, or the internet as a whole. But one thing I do know is that almost every single internet using person that I have met uses Google regularly or at least has used it multiple times before. It’s just so easy to do. With this being said, I do think it is possibly a risk to our privacy. I say this because there is so much information and pictures being put up on the internet that you never know whose hands it’s going to land in. There are so many ways that people can find out information about people that it’s a little scary. I think the people to be most concerned about is kids. With the amount that kids use electronics and the internet now, there is still so much they don’t know about how to be safe on the internet.

Image from: velocityagency.com

No comments:

Post a Comment